Ministry of Justice responds to Consultation on Reform of Court Fees
January 20, 2015
On 16 January 2015 the Ministry of Justice presented its response to part 2 of the consultation on enhanced fees.
The key points arising from this response are as follows:
- The government has decided to increase the fee to issue proceedings for the recovery of money to 5% of the value of the claim for all claims over £10,000.
- The fees for claims of less than £10,000 (which are over 90% of all money claims) remain at their current levels.
- The maximum fee to issue proceedings is set at £10,000.
- Discounts of 10% apply to the fees where the claim is initiated electronically using the Secure Data Transfer facility or Money Claims Online.
- The Government will not implement the proposed increase to the fee for a divorce, or either of the options for charging higher fees for commercial proceedings.