Salary: Negotiable depending on experience
Job Location: London
Job Type: Permanent
Job Ref: FORACC
Please apply with a CV and Covering letter to HR@jha.com clearly explaining why you are interested in our firm, the role on offer and why you believe you are suitable for this role.
Due to high volume of CVs, we can only respond to applicants that have been successfully chosen for interview.
Agencies please be aware that we operate a preferred supplier list (PSL). As we already have a number of contractual suppliers in place, we are unable to consider CVs / speculative applications from organisations outside of the PSL
JHA is a law firm specialising in complex international and high-end commercial & tax disputes, with offices in London and New York. Our practice comprises of leading practitioners from various specialisms and backgrounds and the firm provides the best qualities of a law firm and the bar, combined into one practice.
We have the ability to approach things with an entrepreneurial attitude. As such, we are looking to hire qualified accountants who are not only excellent on paper, but bright and tenacious, to help us develop an in-house team which can conduct investigations and become an integral part of how we advise our clients.
This is a unique opportunity as the team won’t work as a silo, but will be integral to the process, working with solicitors, barristers and other accountants. The cases we deal with can be exceptionally complex which not only underpins the need for collaboration across disciplines, but will ultimately demand the candidate develop into a specialist Forensic Accountant who wishes to perform at the very top of their game.
With this team being very much in its infancy, we are looking for candidates with varying levels of experience, but a minimum of 2 years of Chartered Accounting experience is a must, preferably gained at a Big Four, and a first-time pass of the ACA is mandatory.
This role presents an opportunity for the right candidate to be part of a new team, shaping how JHA build in-house investigation and accounting skills on top of an already formidable legal capability.
The posts are full-time from Monday – Friday, from 9am – 6pm in our central London office.
The Forensic Accountant will be responsible for:
- Conducting and advising on fact finding, fraud, financial and regulatory investigations.
- Interviewing witnesses and sources in connection with investigations and disputes.
- Advising on quantum and the commercial aspects of disputes including preparing detailed loss calculations and business valuations and supporting our lawyers and clients prepare for mediations.
- Advising on technical accounting issues and analysis of accounts and financial data.
- Reviewing, analysing and verifying evidence for use in court proceedings, mediations/settlements and investigations.
- Advising on information required to conduct an investigation/support a claim.
- Liaising with and critiquing the reports of independent expert accountants.
- Preparing decision trees to assist with presentation of legal advice.
- Reporting on results of work undertaken including drafting quantum reports, investigation reports, sections of pleadings and witness statements dealing with quantum and financial issues.
- Desktop research of businesses and individuals.
- As we are based in London and New York, candidates with experience advising on financial crime and regulatory issues in the banking and insurance markets would be at an advantage.
Qualifications and experience
- A relevant qualification in accountancy (ACA or ACCA qualifications or equivalent), with a first-time pass, preferably gained at a Big Four or within a specialist firm.
- The right person will be exceptionally bright, hard-working and should have a very good bachelor’s degree (First Class equivalent or a high 2.1 from a top UK University).
- A post-graduate degree could be an advantage.
- We are interested in hearing from applicants who have good working knowledge of how technology is being used to transform investigations and disputes e.g. E-discovery software, visualisation tools and data analytics.
- A broad range of Forensic Accounting experience including investigations into fraud and regulatory issues and the preparation of expert witness reports.
- Candidates with deep experience of tax litigation and disputes would also be considered.
- Business development and marketing initiatives.
- Exceptionally organised and an ability to prioritise and meet tight deadlines.
- Exceptional verbal and written communicator and able to liaise easily with the partners and legal associates.
- An exceptional level of accuracy and attention to detail in a fast-paced corporate office environment.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision being a team player within the existing professional team and always maintaining a positive outlook even when placed under pressure.
- Flexibility is key for this role.
- Exceptional work ethic, with a firm commitment to the company’s success and a clear understand of the requirement to keep firm matters confidential.
- Excellent IT skills, especially in Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook.